Thursday, March 10, 2011

Mentoring young girls...

So I know this isn't "weight loss" related, but it's "Augustina related", so chill. haha..  Anywho, I'm apart of the United Way - Women's Initiative in Central Mass and was presented the opportunity to volunteer inner city girls (7th grade) about their finances.  While in college I had done my fair share of volunteering, but found my most enjoyable experiences in mentoring and helping out youth.  I'm not sexist, but I naturally connect more with young girls... duh, I was one.  I also participated in Junior Achievement while in college and found teaching about finances, economics, business sense and the like to be quite enjoyable.  Needless to say, this opportunity was right up my alley.

The point I'm getting at is that I had an excellent time, but giving back in a way that I completely enjoyed.  There's plenty of ways to volunteer, first off, but finding opportunities that call to you are also very important. You'll be more inclined to volunteer more often, obvz.  In fact, I can't wait to begin volunteering with Girl's Inc. Worcester next week and am now looking to mentor full time with the YWCA via Big Brothers Big Sisters.  I want to get ahold of them inner city girls... most definitely, the at-risk ones.  I had plenty of opportunity to be "at-risk", but I thank my momma/familia and my teachers/mentors in my youth that brought me beyond that point.

I'm in no way trying to brag, I'm just so fired up and happy!  Giving back really fills this empty part of me... why it's empty, who knows?... Either way, I loved it!  And the point I'm really trying to make is... well... VOLUNTEER.  We ALL have time in our busy schedules to get out there and help one another, at least once a month... c'mon!  It's the best possible gift you could ever give... the gift of your time.

Well hopefully someone will read this and seek out opportunities.  In this short life we live... it's about the legacy we leave - a legacy or love, compassion, will, determination and selflessness.

Now DO IT! :)

P.S. Super pumped about my family coming in tomorrow!... gotta hit the gym ta-noight!

No comments: